When in Rome

"When in Rome, do as the Romans do!"

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

"The best of America drifts to Paris."

From April 1 to April 4 I visited one of my close friends from Connecticut College in Paris, France.  My friend Emily is studying with the Wells College program and is concentrating in studio art.  She loves Paris and after my visit I now know why!
At the Eiffel Tower
Paris is so much different from Rome!  Rome feels so ancient in comparison to Paris.  Paris doesn’t have any ancient ruins and it seems to be a lot larger than Rome.  Paris feels so much more modern with its extensive metro system since Rome only has two metro lines that seem to go nowhere (at least nowhere I need to go).  It was weird to be taking the public transportation everywhere instead of walking.  I loved it though.
Emily and I had an amazing long weekend.  She showed me the Eiffel Tower, the Arc de Triomphe, the Louvre, the Pompidou, the Moulin Rouge, Notre Dame, Sacré-Cœur Basilica, Avenue des Champs-Élysées, Hôtel de Ville, and so much more.  I would go into the history of each, but no one I’m sure wants to read that.  I also got to talk to some Parisians (in English while Emily talked to them in French) and experience the night life.
Eiffel Tower at night

Rose window of Notre Dame

Moulin Rouge
Me and Emily at the Arc de Triomphe
One of my favorite parts of my time in Paris wasn’t the sight seeing but participating in a Parisian activity of going to a wine and cheese tasting.  The Wells College program held the activity for their students and I was invited to attend.  It was great too because I was able to meet up with my field hockey teammate from Conn who was also studying in the same program.  At the wine and cheese tasting I learned about the French concept of terrior denoting the special characteristics that geography, geology, and climate affect the taste of the product.  There was about fifteen or so different types of cheese to try.  My favorite by far was chèvre, a cheese made out of goat’s milk. 
Emily also made sure that I tried as much French cuisine as possible.  I was able to try French baguettes, crepes, eclairs, tartines, and macaroons.  Everything was delicious!  I am really going to miss this European food when I return home. 
The weekend was what I need and I was so glad I got to see friends from home.  This week is a busy one for me in Rome getting ready for final projects and exams as well as picking housing and classes for when I return to Conn next semester.  

The main building on the campus of Cité Internationale Universitaire where Emily lives
Louvre


Winged Victory in the Louvre...The replica at Conn is so much whiter!


Pompidou Center

No comments:

Post a Comment