When in Rome

"When in Rome, do as the Romans do!"

Thursday, April 14, 2011

Football anyone?

As the semester is near its end, I am now in full gear studying for finals.  I am taking five classes and have a final or project in each one, all of which are next week. 
This past Tuesday, the Pantheon Institute arranged for the girls in my program to play in a soccer scrimmage which was a nice break from studying.  Unlike the boys who played against a group of Italians the week before, there were not enough Italian girls interested in playing so we played against ourselves.  We traveled to a park right before you reach the city walls to play at 9pm at night.  We divided ourselves into two teams and soon realized that none of us played soccer competitively in high school (I played when I was six and seven years old, but that did not help me at all).  The best player out of all of us was Simona, one of the Pantheon Institute office assistants who played with us.  I guess when it is the most popular sport in Italy, everyone knows how to play!
Eleven of us played and had such a great time!  It was fun just to get out of the apartment and do something active.  At the end of the match we were all out of breath and tired.  Some of us took a couple of dives to prevent the ball from going in the goal and skinned our knees (yep, I was one of them).  Others got a ball kicked directly at them from a person no more than three yards away.  Despite feeling a little sore in the morning, I really wish we had organized more soccer matches throughout the semester.  I know I can speak on everyone’s behalf and say that we had so much fun.
I was unable to take photos during the game (since I was playing) but I will be able to post photos from the match as soon as one of my friends uploads her photos. 

Sadly, this was the only photo so far I could get.  It's from the Pantheon Institute's blog.
Yep, that is me.  And yes, I agree, it is not an attractive photo haha





No comments:

Post a Comment