When in Rome

"When in Rome, do as the Romans do!"

Friday, January 7, 2011

Benvenuto a Roma



Today I arrived safely in Rome after a long day of traveling.  I started out my day yesterday, Thursday, January 6th, in the Providence airport and took a short flight to Philadelphia where I waited to board my flight to Rome.

As I sat waiting for my zone to be called to board, I realized that not knowing much Italian is going to be difficult.  I turned to the man who was sitting next to me to ask him a question about needing to check in with the front desk at the gate.  He looked at me puzzled and said "I don't speak much English."  By the time I boared the plane I realized it was no use trying to engage the man next to me in conversation.  Not only did he not speak English, but he did not appear to be in a good mood.  So, we sat in silence for 8 hours.

I tried so hard to sleep while on the plane yet was unable to sleep a wink.  I didn't sleep much the night before in hope that would help me drift into a sound slumber.  However, no matter how tried, I was the uncomfortable position of my body and neck proved to keep me awake.  The flight attendants "woke" us up at 8am (2am EST) to give us a danish and coffee for breakfast.

Around 9am (3am EST) we landed in Rome.  I was amazed at how beautiful and green the landscape is!  It is also a beautiful 60 degrees Farenheit (a little warmer than I had anticipated).  It took me a while to retreive my luggage from baggage claim and I then dashed off to terminal 3 where I was to meet a group of 21 students who were getting a shuttle to the Pantheon Institute.  I went to the designated spot we were told to go to and no one was there.  I knew they were to leave at 10:30am yet my watch only said 10am.  Well, I decided that it was no use trying to track down a shuttle full of people I didn't know and decided to find my own way to get to the housing department, where I was to be heading.  An older man who was calling taxis for people noticed me in my state of confusion and was kind enough to help.  I went on a flat fee shuttle that took me straight to the housing department.  

After I filled out all the necessary paperwork that was needed, I was handed the key to my apartment.  The apartment is located in Trastevere in Santa Maria in Cappella in an old Roman neighborhood.  The building I am living in was built in 1192 and has the largest private garden in Rome.  I live with 14 other students in the fourth floor apartment and my roommate is another girl from Connecticut College.

Tomorrow is the start of orientation, but right now all I am looking forward to is a good night's sleep!

1 comment:

  1. Gorgeous view! I can't believe you get to look at that every day. I. am. so. jealous.
    Susie

    ReplyDelete