When in Rome

"When in Rome, do as the Romans do!"

Monday, January 24, 2011

Essere un amante della buona cucina

Today, I would like to blog about one of the loves of my life...Food.  Food and I have always had a love/hate relationship.  Why is it that the food that tastes so good can only be eaten in moderation?



Italy is known for its amazing food.  While most people only think of pizza, pasta, gelato, expresso, olive oil, and wine, Italy offers a wide variety of cibo (food).  Italian cuisine has developed over the centuries and each region is known distinctively for its certain offerings of food.
Pasta alla carbonara
Specifically in the Lazio region, where Rome is located, pasta dishes are very popular.  Pasta alla carbonara is on of its specialities.  It is usually made with spaghetti and includes eggs, pecorino romano, bacon, and black pepper. Pecorino Romano, porchetta (boneless pork roast), and Frascati white wine are all very popular here, as well.  

Carciofi alla guidia


The large Jewish community in Rome, that actually lives directly across the Tiber River from my apartment in the Jewish ghetto, has also influence Rome’s cuisine.  They are most widely known for their carciofi alla giudia, meaning “Jesish style artichokes.”  Everyone raves about them and I sadly have yet to have one!  The artichokes are put in lemon juice, seasoned with salt and pepper, and then deep fried in olive oil.  It is my mission this week to go to a Jewish restaurant and eat one.

As I travel to more locations in Italy, I will be better to discuss their food selection.  I would really love to go to Naples to visit the birth place of pizza.  Because pizza has become so popular all around the world, it would be great to eat an original style pizza in all its simplicity with tomato sauce and mozzarella.  I would also love to go to Sicily as soon as I heard is the host of many delicious desserts like cannoli, granita (frozen dessert like Italian ice), and cassata (Neapolitan ice cream).  Of course these dishes are only a few of the many offerings in these regions. 
This upcoming weekend I am hopefully going to go to Florence, in the region of Tuscany.  I am going to be visiting my first year roommate from Smith College who is studying in Florence for the year.  I hope that when I visit she will be able to show me not only the beautiful architecture and museums but some of the great restaurants, as well.  As we all know, Tuscany is known for its extensive and well-known regional wine.  I know close to nothing about wine so maybe she will be able to help me.  
Buying food here has also proven to be a challenge!  Not only are the grocery stores smaller and have a limited selection of offerings, but they don’t carry some of the food I would say is essential to my diet.  I search one of the grocery stores for 15 minutes trying to find peanut butter and couldn’t find it!  I was disappointed to say the least.  I finally found it in another store and it is expensive!  It also doesn’t have the same “Jiff” taste.  I was also frustrated that I couldn’t find these items: cheddar cheese, sliced chicken, sandwich bread, canned soda, cheez-its, and a wide variety of cereal.  It’s sad and pathetic that not finding these things have made me sad.
Italians don’t buy food in bulk like Americans do.  Most of the time, they buy food only for the next few days.  Also, there aren’t as much fresh produce in the grocery stores because open air markets are where most people get their fruits and vegetables.  Their is a large open air market within walking distance from where I live and it’s amazing (and slightly overwhelming)!  
Open air market

While pasta and pizza are delicious, I want to try more authentic Italian food.  Thankfully, next Tuesday I will be attending a cooking class with other students from my program and cooking a complete Italian meal.  Who knows, maybe when I get home at the end of April I will invite everyone over to the Knowles’ house and cook a delicious meal of Italian food.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds awesome Sarah!! I love hearing and seeing pictures of the food from where everyone is going :) and I would love to have a big Italian dinner with you!! We should have international night next year!! :)

    ReplyDelete