When in Rome

"When in Rome, do as the Romans do!"

Saturday, January 22, 2011

Not the Tower of Terror but Still an Adventure

Last night I went out with a large group of friends from my program and on our return home I decided to take the elevator with one of the girls in my apartment since we live on the fourth floor.  I usually never take the elevator because I think the stair are faster, however, I was pretty tired and the elevator looked like a great idea...Oh how I was wrong!
I got in the elevator with the girl from my floor and a girl from a floor below.  The elevator went up to the second floor and the doors opened to let her out.  After she gets out and doors closed, the elevator makes it way up to the fourth floor.  Well instead of the doors opening, they remained closed!  We frantically hit the fourth floor button and with no luck the doors still don’t open.  We hold down the alarm button but all it does is ring allowing others to know we are in the elevator.
The elevator is fairly small, probably three feet by six feet.  Thankfully, neither of us are claustrophobic and really didn’t mind being stuck.  We weren’t scared and just decided to sit on the elevator floor and wait for our roommates to find a way to open the doors.  The girl with me, Jillian (she’s from Bennington College), was trying to convince the people on the other side of the elevator to slide us a deck of cards under the elevator doors to keep us occupied.
After about twenty minutes or so of our friends switching on and off the circuit breaker to restart the elevator, the elevator doors finally opened!  Let’s just say I will probably think twice about ever taking that elevator again!

No comments:

Post a Comment