When in Rome

"When in Rome, do as the Romans do!"

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

So Much Going On

Hi everyone!  It has been a few days since I last wrote on my blog and I thought I would update you all on what I've been up to in Rome.






I went the other day to visit the Colosseum for the first time.  Everyone is amazed when I tell them that it wasn't the first thing I saw when I got here.  I decided to go one afternoon when everyone else was busy doing work.  So, I had to go by myself.  In contrary to what you most often hear about European countries, Rome is a very safe place to walk by yourself in the daytime (at least in the center of Rome where I live and go to school).  Don't worry though, at night, I always walk with a friend.  On my way to the Colosseum, two Turkish girls came up to me and asked me for directions to the Colosseum.  We ended up walking together there and having a short conversation with what English they new.  It is amazing how many students there are here studying in Rome.  The two girls were very nice and took my picture for me by the Colosseum.

Yesterday night, about twenty or so people from our program decided to go to the Ice Club, a bar in Rome made entirely of ice!  When you go in, the club gives you a thermal jacket-like poncho to put over your coat to keep you warm since the inside of the bar is -5 degrees Celsius.  The walls and seating are made all of ice.  All the beverages you get also come in an ice cup, which is really cool.  After a couple of hours of being in there though you decide that you've had enough of the cold despite how radical of a club it is.  It was definitely an experience but I doubt I would go their again to sit in the cold.


I've also decided that Rome is a great place to go running.  I was first under the impression that I would either have to run on the busy streets or buy an expensive gym membership that could cost over 100 euros a month!  Within a short time of living here I found out that there is a bike and running path along the Tiber River.  Not only is the path relatively flat, but it has great views of the River and Rome.  Not many people in my apartment are interested in getting up to go running with me so I usually go by myself.  I have always felt safe when running by myself and always go when it is light outside and when there are a lot of people on the above streets.  I always bring with me a form of ID, a cellphone, and whistle (I know I will make my grandmother proud!).  My whistle has actually become more of a fashion statement and some of the other girls I live with want one, too.  One of them was lucky.  Since I brought two, I gave one away.

No comments:

Post a Comment